by Piotr Górka

Hurricanes of No. 32 Squdron over London during the Battle of Britain


L/E  250  Limited Edition signed & numbered prints   

  A/P    18  Artist's Proofs TWO signatures  110 €  plus postage

  S/N  162  Signed Numbered ONE signature  80 €  plus postage   

  A/S     70   Artist's Signed Only  50 €  plus postage

Printed On HQ Acid Free Permanent Paper 250 g


S/N  162  Signed Numbered ONE signature  80 €  plus postage  

signed by

Wing Commander   JAN FALKOWSKI   VMv CV** DFC   32 Squadron in Battle of Britain 

A/P    18  Artist's Proofs TWO signatures  110 €  plus postage

signed by artist and

Wing Commander   JAN FALKOWSKI   VMv CV** DFC   32 Squadron in Battle of Britain 

Wing Commander   KEN MACKENZIE  DSO DFC    501 Squadron in Battle of Britain

In early August Bigin Hill-based No 32 Squadron welcomed three Polish pilots-Jan Pfeiffer, Karol Pniak and Bois arrival hleslaw Wlasnowolski, who were known to their English friends as, 'Cognac' and 'Vodka' respectively. Pniak 'made ace' two weeks after his arrival, adding three kills to his 1939 score. However, Wlasnowolski (with a shared kill from Poland) was not expected to become achive such status for his flight under the watchful eye of Plt/Off J L 'Polly' Flinders ended in a garden just outside  the airfield! His first combat sortie on 14 August also saw him having to force-land his Hurricane (V7223)-this time near Dover.  The following day, however, he downed his first 'Hun' over Britain;


 'I flew as No 3 in "Red" section, when I spoted 9 Me 109s above me in V formation. I climbed  and attacked one Me 109 from behind. We started to circle, when the Me 109 dived. I sent him a good burst and the Me 109 started to burn, and was diving towards the sea. I turned back towards the other Me 109s but was unable to catch up with any. Glycol temperature in my aeroplane was so high that I landed in a field in Essex. The aeroplane is temporarily unserviceable as the undercarrige was torn off landing on soft terrain'.

On 18 August Wlasnowolski claimed a Dornier, whilst later that afternoon-over Cantetbury-he and Flt/Lt Peter Brotherst shared in the destruction of a 7/JG26 Bf 109E-1 flown by Lt Muller-Duhe. The Pole used only 600 rounds in four short burst to down the enemy aircraft. On 13 September Wlasnowolski moved to No 607 Sqn at Tangmere, and two days later he shot a Do 17Z down into the sea. On 17 September he was posted to No 213 Sqn (which was also based at Tangmer), where he claimed his last victory on 15 October. Wlasnowolski was killed on 1 November - the day he recceived a posting to a Polish fighter squadron - when he was shot down in Hurricane I N2608 AK-V soon after scrambling in response to a surprise low level attack on the airfield.

In July 1940 32 Squadron welcomed three Polish airmen to “The Bump”. P/O  Pfeiffer, Wlasnowolski and Pniak. Better known as Fifi, Vodka and Cognac! First they were given a conversion course on Hurricanes undermthe watchful eye of traininng officer “Polly” Flinders. On his first solo Wlasnowolski struck the boundary fance, cartwheeled over the main road and landed right way up in a back garden. His compatriot Pniak found him unhart but admonished him severely for disgracing Poland! The picture above was taken by Peter Brothers of the “32nd Pursuit” Standing: Pfeiffer, Humperson, Gardener, Crossley, Grice, Pain. Seated: Eckford, Pniak and Wlasnowolski.




















   W/Cdr Jan Falkowski DFC VM KW. On 12 September he was posted to 32 Squadron in wich he fought in the Battle of Britain. On 18 January 1941 he shot down He 111, but his aircrft was also damaged, and he was forced to bail out. He broke his leg on landing, and did not return to his unit, until March 1941. On 29 July 1941, he was posted to No. 315 Squadron (Polish), based at Northolt.

Piotr Górka © 2007