Born on 10 February 1910 in Warsaw, where he graduated from National Radio-technical School. In 1928 he joined Warsaw Aero Club. The same year he completed a flying training course as part of his initial military training at Lublinek airfield near Lodz. During 1928-1930 he worked in charfe of a laboratory at the Polish Philips Works. He studied for a while at the Wawelberg and Rotwand Machine Construction and Electronics High School. He joined the Polish Air Force in 1931. He underwent his military training at the 1st Air Regiment in Warsaw and from 1935 he was a career NCO pilot of the 112th Fighter Flight. In 1938 he completed a specialist cour
se at No. 1 Air Force Training Centre at Deblin, where subsequently he was a flying instructor. He has flown a total of approximately 5,000 hours.In September 1939 he served with Capt. Julian Lagowski's reconnaissance platoon of the Warsaw Armoured-Motorised Brigade. He flew reconnaissance and liaison sorties in battle areas. On 18 September he flew to Uzhorod in Hungary. He then reached France. He went to Britain in January 1940. He received service no. On 780408. On 5 July 1940 he obtained a posting to Old Sarum for conversion training on British aircraft. On 14 July he commenced fighter training at No. 6 Operational Training Unit at Sutton Bridge. On 5 August was posted to No. 501 Squadron RAF. On 24 August 1940 he was credited with five enemy aircraft destroyed in one day - he is the only Polish pilot to have achieved that. On 31 August 1940 he was
shot down and made a forced landing in damaged Hawker Hurricane V6540
SD-P. On 1 March 1941 he was reposted as an instructor to No. 55 Operational Training Unit. On 16 July 1941 he was commissioned for his wartime achievements, receiving an officer's service no. P-1527. On 22 October was posted to No. 611 Squadron RAF, and on 7 November 1941 he was reposted do No. 303 Squadron. On 7 February 1943 he appointed the 'A'Flight commander in No. 308 Squadron. In June 1943 he was transferred for a month to the then forming No.318(Fighter-Reconnaissance) Squadron, and then returned to No. 308 Squadron, remaining at his previous post until 22 February 1944. On 4 March 1944 he was posted for an exchange tour to the 356th Fighter Squadron 354th Fighter Group USAAF. On 19 May he was appointed flight commander at No. 61 Operational Training Unit. On 9 September 1944 he became the commander of No.309 Squadron. He was the first fighter squadron commander in the Polish Air Force in Britain who had started the war as an NCO. On 16 July 1945 he be came the chief flying instructor at No. 61 Operational Training Unit. At the time he has completed a jet conversion course on Gloster Meteors at Colerne. In September 1945 he was temporarily attached to No. 307 Squadron, where he trained on de Havilland Mosquitoes, and then returned to No. 61 Operational Training Unit. From 1 December 1945 he was the Polish Liaison Officer at the HQ 13 Group RAF at Inverness, Scotland. In May 1946 he was posted to the HQ 84 Group RAF, a part of the BAFO. From August to December 1946 he was acting commander No. 302 Squadron. Demobilised from the Polish Air Force, on 1 September 1948 he joined the RAF. During 1948-1949 he served with No. 57 (Bomber) Squadron. From July 1949 until March 1951 he served with No. 264 (Night Fighter) Squadron RAF. Subsequently he served with auxiliary units and in 1954 he left the RAF and joined the RNZAF, where he then remained in active service until 1958. The same year he started working for the New Zealand civil aviation authorities. He was an active pilot until the end of his life: he made last flights as a pilot on 22 March 1980. He died on 27 April 1980.
His decorations included
the Silver Cross Virtuti Militari (no. 08814),
the Cross of Valour and three Bars,
the Distinguished Flying Cross .
the Distinguished Flying Meda .