Born on 6 May 1910 at Sarn in Volhynia. After graduation from a secondary school he started studies at the Chemistry Faculty of the Lwow Technical University. He completed three years of studies, getting a semi-degree in chemistry. In January 1934 he joined the Air Force Reserve Cadet Officers' School at Deblin, and in October 1934 the Air Force Officers' School at Deblin. He was commissioned in the 9th class on 15 October 1936 and was posted to the 132nd Fighter Flight of the 3rd Air Regiment in Poznan. He was a pilot, and then also the engineering officer of the flight. He then flew with the 133rd Fighter Flight of the 3rd Regiment. On 5 April 1939 he was transferred to Ulez as a fighter instructor. At the outbreak of war he joined the ad-hoc fighter section formed on PZL P.7 aircraft by Ulez instructors. He made several combat sorties. Subsequently

he was evacuated with his unit and on 17 September 1939 he crossed the Rumanian border. He left Rumania by sea and on 29 October 1939 he arrived in Marseilles in France. He went to Britain in one of the first groups of Polish airmen, arriving there on 27 January 1940. He received service no. 76741. He uderwent a fighter course at No. 5 Operational Training Unit, Aston Down and on 5 August 1940 he was posted do No. 609 Squadron RAF at Middle Wallop. He flew with it in the Battle of Britain. On 25 August 1940 he was wounded in combat after a direct hit on the cockpit of his Spitfire I R6986 PR-S. On 7 March 1941 he was posted as a ground control officer to the operations room of No. 317 Squadron. He then held the same post for Nos 1 and 41 Squadrons RAF (15 January to 9 April 1942), and Nos 303 (until 3 August 1942), 302 (until 10 September 1942) and 308 Squadrons (until 26 November 1942). Then he was a pilot with No. 308 Squadron until January 1943, subsequently resuming his ops room duties for the unit. From 1 June 1943 he held the same post for No. 306 Squadron. On 17 August 1943 he was sent to No. 12 (Pilots) Advanced Flying Unit for conversion on Bristol Blenheims, and on 28 September he undertook a night fighter course at No. 51 Operational Training Unit. On 8 February 1944 he was posted to No. 85 Squadron RAF at West Malling, where he flew de Havilland Mosquito XVIIs crewed with Sgt Jozef Bachleda as radar operator. From 30 April 1944 he flew Mosquito XVIIs with No. 125 Squadron RAF with the same radar operator. On 15 August 1944 he was posted to No. 501 Squadron RAF, and flew night and daytime patrols on Hawker Tempests. On 25 September he was posted to No. 307 Squadron,

where he flew again with (now commissioned) P/O Jozef Bachleda. On 2 December he became the 'A' Flight commander in No. 307 Squadron. From 23 April 1945 he was a night operations control officer at No. 12 Group RAF. On 25 May 1945 he moved to the HQ No. 11 Group RAF. In early September 1945 he went to No. 229 Group RAF in South-East Asia, and he flew with Nos 216 and then 78 (Transport) Squadrons RAF there. In July 1946 he returned to Britain, and in early October 1946 he was posted to No. 301 Squadron, serving there until its disbandment. Released from the Polish Air Force, he settled in Britain. He changed his name to Raymond. He joined the RAF (service no. 500064). He also flew in sports events. On 16 September 1950, flying a Miles Hawk Trainer III he came third overall, and first in the 500- 1,000 kg aircraft category in the Daily

Express South Coast Race. He died on 8 May 1965 in London.




His decorations included

the Cross of Valour and two bars

and the Silver Cross of Merit.

                        1940.08.15        609 Sqn    Spitfire I    L1065      PR-E        18:06        1-0-0 Me 110

Piotr Górka © 2007