Born on 13 January 1915 at Sandomierz.In 1931 he joined the Air Force NCO School for Minors at Bydgoszcz. He graduated from it in 1934, as an aircraft mechanic. During his service with the 2nd Air Regiment in Cracow he completed a flying course, and subsequently an advanced flying course at Grudziadz. During the latter, on 6 April 1937 he had an accident in PZL P.7 no. 6.115. He then joined the 122th Fighter Flight. For a while he was an instructor in the training flight of the regiment (on 14 July 1937 he had an accident during a training flight with Lce Cpl Andrzej Duda in Potez XXV no. 42.194). During his service with the 2nd Regiment he graduated from a secondary school in 1939. In September 1939 he fought with the 122nd Flight which, together with the 121st Fighter Flight was part of the Cracow'Army aviation. He flew over to Rumania.  Subsequently he  reached

France by sea, arriving there on 29 October 1939. In France he then served

with the all-Polish GC I/145.After the collapse of France he was evacuated via Oran and Casablanca to Britain, arriving there on 21 June. On 6 August 1940 he was posted to No. 302 Squadron. With this squadron he fought in the Battle of Britain. On 2 February 1941, during a sortie over the English Channel, he hit a wave in mist, but managed to bring his damaged Hurricane I V6753 WX-Z back to the shore and make a crash landing, sustaining injuries. Following convalescence he was posted to No. 1 Aircraft Delivery Flight at Croydon. On 15 May 1941 he had an accident at Northolt in Hawker Hurricane II Z3154 that he ferried in for No. 306 Squadron, but he escaped unhurt (the aircraft was only slightly damaged and entered service with the Polish unit). On 29 July 1942 he was posted for an instructor's course at No. 2 Flying Instructors School, and subsequently to No. 16 (Polish) Service Flying Training School as an instructor. While serving at the school he was sent on detachment to the Cadet Officers School, and was then commissioned in August 1943. After the war he completed a radio- technical course at Blackpool. Upon release from the Polish Air Force he stayed w Britain. He worked as a radio-mechanic, and then ran his own company. He changed his name to A. L. Martin. He died on 30 April 2005 at Rustington.



His decorations included

the Crossof Valour and two Bars.

                          01.09.1939          122 Esk. P.11c                                                       1/2-0-0 Hs 126

                          02.09.1939           122 Esk. P.11c                                                      1/2-0-0 Do 17

                          09.06.1940           Dyon I/145 CR.714                                               1/3-0-0 Do 17

                          26.09.1940           Dyon 302 Hurricane I    V6942    WX-S    11:30       0-1-0 Me 109

Piotr Górka © 2007