Born on 5 March 1919 at Piotrkow Trybunalski, son of Ludwik and Helena Czeczot. While still a secondary school pupil he completed gliding training. In 1937 he graduated from the textile technical secondary school, and during the summer he underwent a flying training course on RWD-8 aircraft. In January 1938 he joined the Air Force Reserve Cadet Officers' School at Radom-Sadkow, and graduated on 15 September 1938 as a Cpl/Cadet Officer, with the mobilisation assignment to the 3rd Air Regiment in Poznan By 1939 he was emplyed at the new PZL factory at Mielec, working on production of the PZL-37 Los bombers. During summer 1939 he underwent conversion training on PZL P.11 fighters in his parent 3rd Air Regiment. In September 1939 he failed to participate in fighting. On 17 September he went to Rumania. Following a short internment, in the first decade of October he went to France by rail, via Yugoslavia and Italy. In November 1939 he was commissioned. He volunteered to go to Britain. During summer 1940 he underwent conversion training on British aircraft at Old Sarum, a fighter course on Hurricanes at No. 7 Operational Training Unit and conversion training na Spitfires at RAF Hornchurch. On 3 September 1940 he was posted to No. 54 Squadron RAF. On 28 September he was reposted to No. 603 Squadron RAF. In that unit he was shot down and wounded on 25 October 1940 (in Spitfire II P7325 XT-W). After less than two weeks of treatment he rejoined the unit, and continued to serve with it until 19 March 1941, when he was reposted to No. 317 Squadron. On 30 January 1942 he transferred to No. 58 OTU as an instructor. On 25 August 1942 he rejoined No. 317 Squadron. In early February 1943 he was selected for the team (known as the Skalski's Circus') that went to North Africa and was attached to No. 145 Squadron RAF. After the end of fighting in Africa, he tried to get a lift from Gibraltar to London in the Liberator used by Gen. Sikorski and his team. Luckily for him, there was no spare seat. Eventually he got back to Britain on 5 July 1943 and on 22 July he was posted to No. 317 Squadron. On 20 August he went to No. 16 (Polish) Service Flying Training School for a twin-engine conversion course. On 4 November 1943 he rejoined No. 317 Squadron and on 8 April 1944 became the 'A'Flight commander. On 12 July 1944 he ended his service in front line units of the Polish Air Force, volunteering to become one of the secret agents to be dropped in the occupied Poland (known informally as the silent-darks'). However, by the time he completed his training all drops into Poland had been stopped. He transferred to staff work at the Polish Liaison Officer's office at the HQ 84 Group RAF. From January to October 1946 he served with Polish Liaison Officer's office at the HQ British Air Forces of Occupation. Demobilised, he stayed in Britain. He performed various job. Like Jozef Jeka, he volunteered to join the planned (and later abandoned) action to hijack a MiG-15 from Poland. In 1953 he went to Africa as an agricultural pilot. He worked there until 1965, and then returned to Britain. Together with John Kent (No. 303 Squadron veteran) he set up a sewage business. He lived in Wimbledon (London). He died on 25 April 2010.


His decorations included

the Silver Cross of Virtuti Militari (no. 08597),

the Cross of Valour and two bars and

Silver Cross of Merit.

                 1940.10.02(?03)   603 Sqn  Spitfire X4274       XT-P                                       0-0-1 Me 109

                 1940.10.05           603 Sqn  Spitfire X4348       XT-R            11:50                  1-0-0 Me 109

                 1943.04.04           PFT         Spitfire IX EN361   ZX-3            09:20-09:50       0-0-1 FW 190

                 1943.04.20           PFT         Spitfire IX EN261   b/o                                         1-0-0 Me 109

                 1943.04.20           PFT         Spitfire IX EN261   b/o                                         0-1-0 MC.200

Piotr Górka © 2007