Born 26 January 1910 at Jaworzno, son of Franciszek and Maria Walaga. He graduated from a secondary school at Chorzow. In 1928 October he volunteered to join the air force and was posted to the 2nd Air Regiment in Cracow. In May 1930 he was posted to the flying training school at Bydgoszcz, where he completed his course in October 1930. He was then posted the 22nd Line Flight of the 2nd Regiment. In September
1931 he completed an advanced flying course at Grudziadz and was transferred to the 122nd Fighter Flight. He was an outstanding pilot, a member of the famous 'Cracow three' (with Capt. Jerzy Bajan and Lce Cpl Stanislaw Macek), taking part in numerous airshows. In 1932 and 1933 he won air gunnery contests during the national competitions held at Grudziadz. In September 1936 he was posted to the Cadet Officers' School for NCOs, and in October 1938 to the 3rd term of the Air Force Cadet Officers' School at Deblin. He was commissioned in the 12th class on 1 August 1939, but already in June 1939 he was posted to the 142nd Fighter Flight of the 4th Air Regiment in Torun. In September 1939 he flew with the 142nd Fighter Flight as part of the 'Pomorze' Army aviation. On 18 September he crossed the Rumanian border. He then went to France by sea, landing at Marseilles on 29 October 1939. In January 1940 he arrived in Britain. He received service no. 76707. Following a short conversion training he was posted to No. 6 Operational Training Unit at Sutton Bridge. On 8 August 1940 he was posted to No. 32 Squadron RAF. He fought with it in the Battle of Britain. On 24 August 1940 he was wounded in air combat and forced to baile out from his Hurricane I V6572. On 16 September 1940 he volunteered to transfer to no. 257 Squadron RAF. On 23 November 1940 he was posted to no. 306 Squadron. On 23 July he was injured during a forced landing in Spitfire II P8465 UZ-P following an air combat. He returned to No. 306 Squadron on 23 October, but already on 18 November 1941 he was rested from operational flying. Until 9 April 1942 he flew with the Air Fighting Development Unit at Duxford. In April 1942 he returned to No. 306 Squadron, becoming a ground control officer at the operations room. He soon resumed combat flying, when on 1 December 1942 he became 'B' Flight commander in no. 306 Squadron. On 13 February 1943 he sarted preparations to go to Africa. With the Polish Fighting Team he took part in fighting over North Africa. He returned to Britain in July 1943 and was posted to the HQ 3rd Polish Wing at Perranporth. From 24 September he was an instructor at No. 58 Operational Training Unit. From 6 October he was a ground control officer at the operations room again. From 12 March 1944 he was the chief fighter instructor at No. 61 Operational Training Unit. On 25 September 1944 he was posted to No. 84 Group Support Unit. On 6 November 1944 he was posted to No. 308 Squadron, and on 28 November 1944 he took command of the unit. He led it until 30 June 1945, and subsequently served at the HQ No. 131 (Polish) Wing in occupied Germany. In September 1946 he resumed command of No. 308 Squadron, and remained at the post until its disbandment. He returned to Poland on 24 February 1947. He settled at Szczakowa near Cracow. He died on 17 October 1980.
His decorations included
the Silver Cross of Virtuti Militari (no. 08995),
the Cross of Valour and three bars and the
British Distiguished Flying Cross.