Born on 6 November 1913 at Dyneburg (now Daugavpils in Latvia). He graduated from No. 2 Cadet Corps. Commissioned on 15 August 1934 as an observer in the 8th class of the Air Force Cadet Officers’ School at Deblin and posted to the 212th Bomber Flight of the 1st Air Regiment. After one year of service he was posted for a flying course at the Air Force Officers Training Centre at Deblin, and subsequently from April to July 1936 he completed an advanced (fighter) flying course at Grudziadz. Posted as a pilot to the 112th Fighter Flight. On 12 January 1937, while flying PZL P.11c no. 8.54 he caused a collision with P.11c no. 8.45 flown by 2nd Lt Henryk Skalski (both aircraft suffered minor damage, and the pilots were unhurt). On 23 August 1937 he had a minor accident in PZL P.11c no. 8.144. He was going to commence studies at the Polish War College in the 20th class (1939-1941). He took part in the 1939 campaign with the III/1 Fighter Squadron of the Pursuit Brigade. On 17 September 1939 he flew his P.11c to Cernauti. From Rumania he went to France. He was appointed to command the fighter section defending Bourges, but was eventually posted to the section of Capt. Tadeusz Opulski at Romorantin. Following the fall of France he was evacuated to Britain. He received service no. P-1506. In early August 1940 he was posted to No. 303 Squadron then being formed. On 5 September 1940 he was shot down in Hawker Hurricane I P2985 RF-Z by a German fighter. Wounded, he bailed out. Following long hospital treatment he did not return to No.303 Squadron until January 1941. On 22 January he suffered an unusual accident during a combat sortie: the radiator, propeller and tail of his Hurricane I W9129 RF-W were damaged by overhead electric wire that entangled his aircraft during a low level attack on a German airfield in France. In February 1941 he became the ‘B’ Flight commander in No.303 Squadron. On 13 April he was appointed to command No.303 Squadron after the death of S/Ldr Zdzislaw Henneberg, but the same day he was wounded in air combat (flying in Spitfire II P7567 RF-X), and he eventually took command of No.303 Squadron in early May 1941 On 2 July 1941 he led the squadron in Supermarine Spitfire IIB P8596 RF-V for Circus 29. He was shot down into the English Channel and was killed. He was buried at Lombardsijde (Belgium), grave no.224.


His decorations included

the Silver Cross of Virtuti Militari (no. 08819)  23 December 1940

the Cross of Valour and three Bars.


1939.09.06          112 Esk. P.11                                                       1/3-0-0 He 111

1939.09.09          112 Esk. P.11                                                          1-0-0 He 111

1940.09.05          Dyon 303 Hurricane I    P2985 RF-Z     15:05          1-0-0 Ju 88

1941.06.04          Dyon 303 Spitfire II       P8331 RF-T     17:40          0-0-1 Me 109

1941.06.18          Dyon 303 Spitfire II       P8507 RF-V     18:30          1-0-0 Me 109

1941.06.22          Dyon 303 Spitfire II       P8507 RF-V     16:10          2-0-0 Me 109

1941.06.24          Dyon 303 Spitfire II       P8507 RF-V     20:45          1-0-0 Me 109

Piotr Górka © 2007