Born on 10 May 1918 at Mołodeczno in Wilno area, in the family of a former Imperial Russian army officer turned into a farmer. In 1938, having completed his secondary school education, he underwent a gliding course. On 3 January 1939 he joined the Polish Air Force College at Deblin. In September 1939 he was evacuated to Rumania in a group of cadet officers of the 14th Class. He reached France by sea, then on 18 February 1940 he went to Britain. After refusal to take an oath of allegiance to the British king he was sent back to France. Upon the fall of France, on 27 June he got to Britain once more (receiving service no. 783647). He was sent to Lancashire for an additional cadet officers’ course. In early March 1941 he commenced conversion training at No. 1 Polish FTS at Hucknall. Then from mid-April he trained at No. 55 OTU. On 26 May 1941 he was posted to No. 306 Squadron. He was commissioned on 1 October 1941 (receiving new service no. P-1624). Having completed a combat tour, from 21 April 1943 he flew as an instructor at No. 58 OTU and then from October at No. 61 OTU. On 20 October he returned to No. 306 Sqn. On 9 July 1944 he was reposted to No. 302 Sqn, flying with it until 20 December 1944. He then rejoined No. 306 Sqn and on 5 January 1945 he was appointed ‘B’ Flight commander. He flew his last sortie on 27 July 1945 and subsequently he held staff posts at the Polish Fighter Station Coltishall. After demobilisation he acquired a farm at Mitcheldean and became a farmer. He died on 25 November 1986 and was buried at Cinderford cemetery.
In 2012 his biography by Piotr Sikora was published in Polish
under the title ‘Grzegorz Sołogub – Sześć dni polskiego Asa’
(‘Grzegorz Sołogub – Six Days of a Polish Ace’).
His decorations included the
Silver Cross of Virtuti Militari (no. 10305),
the Cross of Valour & three Bars,
and the Distinguished Fliing Cross